Saturday 24 September 2011

Show


Last week I had the privilege of attending a spectacular show at Event 33 centre. It was Onerahi Primary’s production of The Magic Box and it wasn’t until halfway that I realised I was sitting on the edge of my seat with my mouth hanging open and a wet face from laughing so hard. What a talented bunch of kids.
I’m not sure if it’s still the largest primary school in Northland as it was when I attended in the 80s but allowing each pupil to perform meant for a lengthy show. Even my hubby, who is more the sporty kind than theatrical had to admit he enjoyed it and, sidelong glances throughout the show spotted a smile on his face the entire time.
Our little man’s class was first up as a group of cute buzzy bees performing a dance competition and he delivered his line without any signs of stage fright despite the 600 spectators.
Directed and part-written by teacher Alan Curry, classes created and performed their own items, centered around a treasure chest discovered in the attic of one of the main characters. The boy and his friends opened it to discover a variety of artifacts which sprang to life in each scene depicting characters and trends from throughout the eras. Although these children weren’t around back in the day, they head-banged to Nirvana and hip-hopped to Vanilla Ice and even carried out a live version of the old popular Pacman game with aplomb.
As well as laughter, my tears were from pride. Pride in the Onerahi community and pride in all the kids – some of whom I’ve watched grow from babies.
These kids were thriving up there and I hoped like anything their parents were there watching. Unfortunately disappointed parents missed out on tickets but I also knew of one family right then who weren’t there supporting their kids because they just plain couldn’t be bothered. I watched their daughter up there on the stage, her face lit up, putting her heart and soul into her performance and wondered who she was performing to. I felt pride for her and told her so the next day.
And looking at these fit, lean children in all their purity, I couldn’t help but wonder what will become of them. If only you could bottle up their enthusiasm, innocence and willing to please.
The Facebook pages were full of talk of the show and there were many tired kids away the next day – but not our little man. He’s in love with school, not to mention his teacher and was straight back up the hill as soon as gates opened.
Oh and the highlight for me besides the buzzy bees? The little break dancer who stole the show.
As we emerged back into the light I announced that I would be enrolling Cade in hip-hop classes until I stole a look at his father’s face. His look of horror said what he thought about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...