Friday 12 August 2016

That Annoying Beeping Noise


"Beep … beep … beep … beep …” came a sound from somewhere within the vicinity of the dash.

Seatbelt was on, the doors were all closed …

“Beep, beep, beep, beep …!” The sound sped up as I continued driving. A quick scan behind the steering wheel revealed no lights flashing at me …

“Be-be-be-be-be-be-be …!” It was now frantic.

That was it – the car was about to blow up. I pulled over and grabbed my bag and prepared to abandon vehicle, making a dramatic run for it as the car exploded behind me in a ball of flames…

… When the beeping stopped.

Phew. I regained my composure and carried back on my merry way.

“Beep … beep … beep … beep …”

What the heck?!

I looked at the DVD/reverse camera screen – it was displaying Japanese characters, probably indicating the GPS was on. Ah, that was it!

“Beep, beep, beep, beep!”

Like I know how to work a GPS, let alone one in Japanese which is probably set for some far-flung route on the other side of the world. No wonder it was now going crazy – I was probably about to drive off a cliff in Japan. 

“Be-be-be-be-be-be-be …!”

I began stabbing my finger wildly at the screen, hoping to shut it down, but to no avail.

This time I wasn’t falling for it’s prank. I continued on driving, determinedly trying to ignore the loud beeping filling the car.

There was no explosion and eventually it beeped itself out. Obviously it was resigned to the fact I was destined to drive over a Japanese cliff, if I hadn’t already. 


No, I would Google it when I got home, or get it checked out at the mechanics. There’d be a simple explanation, like that time I thought there was a major mechanical fault but, no, it was just a button the kids had pushed when they’d been playing in the car.

But do you think I ever got round to doing so? After months of my Japanese import tormenting me by only ever beeping when I was alone, I was finally enlightened after swapping cars for the day with a mate.

“Oh, and did it do that funny beeping thing at you?” I asked when we swapped back.

“Yeah it’s just telling you the person in the passenger seat hasn’t got their seat belt on,” he casually replied.

“But I never had anyone in the passenger seat.”

“You would’ve had your bag sitting there. It’s a seat weight sensor.” 
Shame!

Riight.

Note to self: Buckle oversize handbag to passenger seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...