Saturday 29 September 2012

Country Living Versus Suburban (part two)



Besides my inability to produce a decent summer crop which I’m blaming on the lack of quality soil here in the suburbs, the noise levels are another downside to suburban living.
And I’m meaning the noise coming from our side of the fence.
Despite repeatedly reminding Master Four that we’re not in the country now, his great lung capacity makes it challenging to keep the volume down.
We’ve had very kind neighbours over the years who are good liars. They claim to only hear the children and not me yelling over top but, like I say, they’re good liars.
We swapped this:
Besides the privacy, I miss the sound of sheep baaing, looking out to rolling green pastures, working by myself down in the orchard and coming home to find fresh produce on the doorstep from kind country folk.
But I don’t miss the travel.
When you’ve got young kids and you live in the country it seems you spend half your day in the car. Getting caught short of flour when you’re midway through baking a batch of cookies is a nuisance and you’d think twice about making that trip to the “offie” when, god forbid, you run out of your favourite drop.
for this.
For any shortcomings, there are definitely bonuses to living more central;  harbour views with stunning sunsets, being closer to the beaches and boat ramp and being able to walk everywhere. This means fewer deadlines of having to be in the car at certain times. Master Six can take himself off to school and have his friends over to play.
One thing I didn’t count on though was the door knockers. The morning after we moved in a couple of girls showed up at the ranchslider seeking sponsorship. They watched in amusement as I dodged boxes making my way over to them.
“Actually, I wouldn’t have a clue where my purse is,” I explained looking around at the carnage and pleased to have a valid excuse. “We only just moved in last night and everything’s a mess.”
“Yes, I can see that,” said Miss all-of-Nine, looking down her nose at my pig sty of a house. “I thought you must’ve been burgled or something.”
You’ve gotta love children’s honesty.
Anyway, the kids love it here. Miss Four told me last night she doesn’t ever want to get married. She wants to stay living in this house with us forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...