Saturday 1 September 2012

The Rhyming Game


“My god he’s loud,” commented someone today for the umpteenth time regarding Master Three’s vocal abilities.
“Try living with it,” I replied for the umpteenth time.
His high-decibel garrulous nature was brought to our attention the moment he was born when the midwife made the comment: “My, he’s got a good set of pipes on him.”
It was true “Throw your baby out the window” material in the nights that followed. Don’t take that the wrong way. I’m sure we’ve all had those moments in the middle of the night when we’re rocking a screaming baby who just won’t settle, – it’s just that most of us don’t act on it.
His twin sister soon and miraculously learnt to sleep through it which was a blessing.
When he was a few months older I got his ears checked out – I mean, could he really be hearing himself? But his acoustics came back all clear. “No, he’s just got a good set of pipes on him,” I was, once again, told.
Wherever we are, he makes sure to attract attention our way, prompting the stranger in the supermarket to ask: “Who needs a foghorn?”
At kindy recently I was in the office and the twins didn’t know I was still there. At mat time all I could hear was Jai. I don’t know why I was surprised by this.
“Is he always like that?” I asked after the session.
“Yes,” the teachers replied unanimously, smiling.
I began apologising but they stopped me.
“Don’t be silly, that’s just Jai’s personality coming out. We wouldn’t dream of crushing his spirit.”
I later found this heartwarming story in his portfolio:
“Jai, I really enjoy the conversations we have. The other day I was reading “Who Sank The Boat”. I could tell that you were really engaged and waited in anticipation for what storyline the next page brought about. Was it the sheep, or the cow, or the donkey, or the pig or the mouse? I waited and peeked at the page while you waited to see who sank the boat. Then I declared that it was Jai who sank the boat! We had the usual Jai response – “Naaaah”, followed by that unique Jai laugh. This infectious laugh got everybody laughing. I love your sense of humour Jai. It’s contagious and you actually get the jokes. Our joking around continued today. Just because Jayla sat next to Layla  gave us enough reason to start rhyming words. Then it was Jai which rhymes with a pie and that was the beginning of exploring with words.
That afternoon I talked to your mum about our rhyming game Jai. Without thinking too much I suggested that you will have to tell me what rhymes with mum when you come to the kindergarten the next day. Your mum stated that it was obvious what rhymed with mum and your brother responded by saying ‘that’ rhyming word. I could tell that your whole family has been engaged in the silly old rhyming game! Your mum also came up with some more words that rhyme with Jaibye and tie.
Jai, I’m looking forward to what you may come up with that rhymes with my name.”
-          Madhu, 11 June 2012
Jai tells me he wants to be a comedian when he grows up. Look out future comedy scene – there’s one loud comedian coming your way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...