Saturday 24 August 2013

Baby Talk




For selfish reasons, I’m guilty of sometimes not correcting my children when they pronounce a word wrong. 
You see, it’s just one of those last vestiges of their baby days that I want to hold on to. For example, the twins still say “a-cause”, instead of “because” and I like that. 
When Mister then-three sung his little heart out to Beyonce’s I’m a single lady, I didn’t correct him either. Not because it sounded so ridiculous hearing a three-year-old boy proclaim to be a solitary woman, but because his muddled version was so hilariously funny: “I wear sing-a-lets, I wear sing-a-lets,” he belted out. 
When it comes to the alphabet, I’ve been teaching the twins, with the help of an alphabet chart, in preparation for school, and they’re coming along in leaps and bounds until they get to the standard “elemenop”. This throws them because after a p they know comes a q but, with me pointing a pen at the chart, teacher-style, we’re still stuck on the ‘l’ and they know an ‘m’ because it looks like the “Old MacDonald’s” golden arches. 
Speaking of the golden arches, gees it’s hard work paying so many visits there when your sons keep getting player of the day! 
Did that just sound like a proud (boastful) mummy moment? 
Actually Master Four scored his first ever try last Saturday, resulting in player of the day and so the subsequent trip to Macca’s with the received voucher was in order. Not that I got to have that proud mummy moment because I missed it. I couldn’t even pretend to have seen it and clap and cheer as I wasn’t even onsite, running five minutes late that day. 
To use a (rather ridiculous) saying which Master Seven has brought home from school – “My bad”. 
On the dinner front, it’s still not going well with Miss Four last week declaring: “Mum, I think I’m “electric” to all of your dinners.” 
Sigh. 
What do you think? Should I correct her on that one?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...