Saturday 9 November 2013

Worst Mum Incident


How many of us have, at times, felt like the worst parent in the world over an incident and been far too ashamed to admit it?
Well I’m going to share my latest episode with you in the hope it will make you feel better.
You see it was Halloween and I was out walking with mum. Along the way we passed numerous groups of kids on the streets decked out in their trick or treating outfits and I declared that, seeing as I didn’t have the kids that night, I was going to be a Halloween grinch and lock the doors and pull the curtains.
Last year I had a persistent bunch who, after receiving their lolly stash, ran around the house to ring the other doorbell and tonight I really couldn’t be bothered.
We got home and had not even made it upstairs when the doorbell rang.
“Freeze!” I ordered mum, safely out of view from the door.
We stood there for a while as the doorbell continued to consistently chime before deciding the coast was clear. We were just heading upstairs when the second doorbell started up.
“Little shits,” I think I heard myself utter as we continued upstairs where I promptly pulled the curtains.
I needn’t have bothered. Mum left and, shortly after that the rain started, thereby ending any more trick or treating fun for kids.
The following evening I got a text from mum.
“I think you might have been hiding from your own kids – Jayla ran up to me in the playground at lunchtime and said they came trick or treating and my car was there but we weren’t home!”
Needless to say, this news didn’t make me feel too flash. I could only imagine them excitedly donning their costumes and walking round to mummy’s house only to be met with closed doors and their dejected little backs turning round and walking away. 
Two days later they got dropped back home and ran in to tell me all about how they came  trick or treating and I wasn’t home. I had already decided not to own up to the fact that I was.
So the worst Mother of the Year Award goes to …

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...