Saturday 19 December 2015

Christmas Spirit

It’s easy to get caught up in the pre-Christmas stress where everything becomes a chore: putting up the tree, buying presents for family and trying to fit in all those social occasions.

All year I look forward to this season and then, last week, I wondered why I was feeling so glum. When I scrutinized this feeling it came down to letting everything get on top of me and turning what should have been a fun time of year, into a martyrish occasion.

I decided to change my attitude and lap it all up.

Here is what I love about this season:

# Decorating the tree together while rocking the carols;
# Decking out the rest of the house in bling;
# Dusting off my favourite recipes for neighbours, teachers and friends – watching the kids delightedly skip back from the neighbours, having experienced the joy of giving and not just receiving;
# Watching the kids’ faces as they see their personalised messages from Santa – even my non-believer is still rather taken with this - (www.portablenorthpole.com);
# Attending Christmas in the Park – always a fantastic evening in Whangarei;
# Doing the lights trail on the way home;
# Making Christmas lanterns with the kids’ class;
# Hosting a pot-luck dinner with friends chez moi where we wear and serve only our finest – this is girls-only with Miss Seven waitress and chief photographer;
# Our annual girls night out on the town where you are likely to catch up with people you haven’t seen since the last one;
# Realising I have lots of Fly Buys points from my second home at New World to spend on fun stocking fillers to balance the practical stuff I have already put aside;
# Recycling the kids’ unwanted toys and giving to children who will appreciate them;
# The final, crazy supermarket shop where there is delicious food-galore and catching snippets of fellow shoppers conversations excitedly planning their menus for the big day;
# ‘Accidentally’ being a little heavy-handed with the top-shelf while making the egg-nogg;
# Watching the riveting season finale of Shortland Street as the fairy lights twinkle;
# The town a mass of rouge as the Pohutukawa trees bloom on cue;
# The communal generosity of giving as the Christmas spirit comes to the fore;
# Playing Santa;
# Lapping up the kids’ excitement Christmas morning;
# Drinking the egg nogg;
# Relaxing and unwinding in the company of all the family who have congregated and being thankful they are still with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...