Saturday 2 January 2016

Carpe Diem

There’s a saying out there that goes: “Seize the moment. Remember all those women on the 'Titanic' who waved off the dessert cart.”


Why do we ‘save our best china’ and put away those Christmas chocolates and scented candles for a special occasion that might not ever come?

I have resolved to make the ‘dessert cart’ theory my motto for 2016 but had already started living it, thanks to the influence of the tourists I have been hosting of late. They hail from all around the globe and each arrive with their own reason for travelling to this part of the world – whether it be work, a gap year, or to open their eyes to new experiences and become a better person. But what they all have in common is their get-up-and-go attitude. They are living. Of course the fact they have travelled to the other side of the world and are on a deadline plays a part but it’s contagious none the less.

As a result, and because they hang onto my every word, having asked for recommendations on local sight-seeing, I thought I’d better up my local knowledge by becoming a tourist in my own town.

One tends not to partake in the touristy things in their own neck of the woods – the Whangarei Falls? I cannot remember the last time I went there, Abbey Caves? Why, that was 1986 on a class trip! The Matapouri Mermaid Pools? I don’t even think I’ve been! In fact, it was my Belgium tourists this week who filled me in on their popularity. They couldn’t believe how busy our beaches were – a surprising statement considering the masses on European beaches – a combination of our good weather and influx in tourists who have flocked to experience their beauty this year, no doubt.

It takes a bit of work going to the beach with a young family – there’s all the thinking ahead and packing and then the unloading and washing at the other end, followed by the layer of sand underfoot all through the house until the next vacuum. But whenever I start to waver, I remember the dessert cart and an hour later, find myself frolicking in the ocean and playing cricket on the beach with my happy children.

And so it is that I am now armed with a whole lot more recommendations, other than my standard: “Drive out to the Whangarei Heads and you will have a multitude of beautiful beaches to choose from, then call in at the Parua Bay for a meal and a cold one on your way back.”

And so it also is that I will sign off now on a Carpe Diem note and head to the freezer for that Hokey Pokey Trumpet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...